Chapter 10 Revision Task Force
The Task Force for Prioritized Revision of Chapter 10 (Zoning) is seeking your
ideas and suggestions to improve the Dane County Zoning Ordinance. Over the
past several years, the Task Force has successfully recommended
numerous priority revisions to the zoning code.
On this webpage you'll find information and resources related to the work of
the Task Force. The Task Force would appreciate your ideas and insights to
improve the Dane County Zoning Ordinance. Please utilize the comment form on
this site or feel free to contact staff by phone or email.
Thank you for your participation.
2014 Selected priority amendments
- Revise the zoning ordinance to address Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs).
Create a zoning category for rural subdivisions utilizing joint septic systems on nonproductive
farm lands (rocky drumlins, etc.). Base density on character of land, slope, soil, etc. / Reduce
zoning lot size requirements for rural housing settings, including conservation and cluster
subdivision, in order to reduce housing costs.
Possible additional priority amendments (items the Task Force may work on)
- Clarify and update nonconforming use and structure provisions in sections 10.21, 10.22, and 10.23.
- Revise rules relating to non-conforming mineral extraction sites
- Conduct a complete and comprehensive re-write of the zoning ordinance
- Agricultural Plan Development district
A summary of the selected and possible amendments is available here.
The state biennial budget bill (2013 Wisconsin Act 20) included significant new legislation that
severely limits the ability of local units of government to regulate the siting and modification
of communication towers (cellular and broadcast). The County will be addressing these changes in
the coming months. Towns with tower siting ordinances should contact legal counsel to determine
if those ordinances are still enforceable. A Wisconsin Towns Association summary of the new state
legislation is available here.
Task Force Sponsored Ordinance Amendments (Approved)
- OA #17, 2013-14 – Regarding Changes to the CO-1 Zoning District (ZLR Public Hearing October 22, 2013) (Link to OA 17/18 memo)
- OA #18, 2013-14 – Establishing the A-Ba Transitional Agriculture-Business District (ZLR Public Hearing October 22, 2013) (Link to OA 17/18 memo)
- OA #42 – Regarding the Siting of Wind Energy Systems (Adopting State Wind Siting Regulations)
- OA #12, 13, & 14, 2012-13 – Regarding Revisions to the A-1EX, A-4, and A-B Agriculture Districts
- OA #10 - Regarding changes to the limited commercial (LC-1) zoning district, and establishing Conditional Use Permit application procedures
- OA #6 - Requiring the Review of Zoning Petitions and Conditional use Permit Applications for Consistency with the County and Applicable Town Comprehensive Plans (Approved)
- OA 13 Chapter 14 of The Dane County Code of Ordinances
- OA 16 Chapter 10 of The Dane County Code of Ordinances
- OA 17 Chapter 11 of The Dane County Code of Ordinances
- Substitute 1 to Ordinance Amendment #21, 2009-10 - Regarding residential uses in the A-1EX Exclusive Agriculture zoning district
- OA #21, Creating A-4 Small Acreage Exclusive Agriculture zoning district (Approved)
- OA #33 - Clarifying Definition of Building Height (Approved)
- OA #44, 2009-10 Creating a Planned Unit Development District
- OA #54 - Providing for Town Board Consideration of Conditional Use Permits (Approved)
- OA #4, 2011-12, amending Chapter 10 of the Dane County Code of Ordinances, regarding accessory structures
|No Members Reported at this Time|
|Majid Allan||Senior Planner/ Planning & Developmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Roger W Lane||Zoning Administrator / Planning & Developmentemail@example.com|
|Todd A Violante||Director/ Planning & Developmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Feel free to submit your suggestions in the attached form or contact either of our staff members listed below.
Your Comments and Suggestions: