Restoration Workdays -- Walking Iron County Park - 2nd & 4th Tuesday each month
- 12/13/2022 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 12/27/2022 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 01/10/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 01/24/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 02/14/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 02/28/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 03/14/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 03/28/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 04/11/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 04/25/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 05/09/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 05/23/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 06/13/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 06/27/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 07/11/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 07/25/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 08/08/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 08/22/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 09/12/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 09/26/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 10/10/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 10/24/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 11/14/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 11/28/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 12/12/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Join our Natural Areas Staff at Walking Iron County Park on every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month from 9am-12pm throughout the year to restore and enhance Pasque Flower Prairie and adjoining project sites at Walking Iron County Park!
Please sign-up here prior to joining our workday: https://signup.com/go/LwtkzKz. This lets us know how many tools to bring and who to contact if we need to cancel a workday.
This remarkable sand prairie remnant harbors a colorful and diverse collection of native plants, wildlife, and rare prairie invertebrates. Because we hold these workdays year-round, our activities tend to change with the seasons.
- Late autumn/winter (November - March): Invasive brush and tree removal and pile burning. We may also seed native species.
- Spring (March - May): Workdays may be rescheduled due to the prescribed burning season. Work may include prescribed burning, invasive species removal, and native seed collection.
- Summer (June - August): Focus primarily on herbaceous invasive species removal (spotted knapweed, sweet clover), with some opportunity for seed collection if timing works out. We may also seed native species.
- Autumn (September - October): Native seed collection
What to bring:
All tools, personal protective equipment, and training will be provided. Check the weather and dress appropriately in clothing and sturdy closed-toe shoes you don't mind working in. Hats, sunscreen, and bug spray are recommended in the summer. Bring plenty of drinking water and snacks if you'd like.
What to know:
We begin promptly at 9am, those arriving late can call Lars or Shane to get to directions to our working area. Cell reception may be spotty depending on your provider. Thank you for your help to care for the natural areas in our Dane County Parks!
Join the email list:
For those interested in receiving updates about what we'll be doing on our workdays you can now join our specific email list! Head here to get your name on the list.
For further questions contact:
Lars Higdon (608) 286-9497 firstname.lastname@example.org
Shane Otto (608) 575-0396 email@example.com
Walking Iron County Park - Beckman Rd. Entrance, 6064 Beckman Rd., Mazomanie 53560
There's a small gravel parking lot off of Beckman Rd. with a Walking Iron County Park sign. Volunteers can drive through the open gate and down the grassy road leading into the park to meet us in the field near the park's information kiosk. Feel free to park in the gravel lot and walk down.
ContactLars Higdon (608) 286-9497 firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Health & Fitness, Parks, Volunteer