Women's* Tree & Brush Workdays
- 12/21/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 01/13/2024 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Join us for the first of our women's* invasive tree and brush removal workdays! It can often be hard for women, folks who are non-binary/transgender, and other gender minorities* to feel comfortable in the typical environment using chainsaws and brush cutters. These workdays are meant to create space for such folks that would benefit from this environment and to build community in Dane County. We welcome any level sawyer and folks interested in equipment operation. Not interested in operating? Perfect! We also need brush haulers.
Sign-Up is Required: signup.com/go/TGjFrdr
Arrive by 8:50 am as we start at 9:00 am. In case of cancelation due to weather, a notification will be made via email and phone to participants who have signed up.
During these winter workdays staff and volunteers work to restore land by removing invasive brush (e.g. honeysuckle, buckthorn) and trees invading the desired habitat (usually black locust, boxelder, cherry). Two roles are needed to be filled by volunteers - a Hauler and Sawyer role. We will give an introduction and training to those unfamiliar to this workday. Participants should be ready to work in winter conditions and should dress for the weather (thick socks, layers, etc.) and wear wear clothing that can get dirty and holes, as we will likely be burning brush piles and there will be embers. Bring drinking water and a snack if desired.
- Haulers assist sawyers by moving cut items such as branches and stumps away from the sawyer's work location. We will have a skid steer to do the heavy-lifting, but haulers will need to help pile these items in areas where the machine can access them. Haulers will also be responsible for treating cut stumps with herbicides to prevent re-growth. If you'd rather not work with herbicides please let us know.
- Sawyers will be operating chainsaws to cut brush and various sizes of trees. We will work with you to understand and accommodate your comfort level with using a chainsaw. Sawyers should be Dane County Parks registered volunteers with a signed chainsaw waiver and copy of their chainsaw safety certification on file with DCP.
- Thursday 12/21/23 -- McCarthy Youth Conservation County Park, 4841 County Hwy TT, Cottage Grove WI 53527.
- Saturday 1/13/24 -- William G. Lunney Farm County Park- specific location to be determined
Claire Lamberg (608) 516-3703 firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Health & Fitness, Parks, Volunteer