Prairie Seed Cleaning Workdays
- 09/27/2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 09/27/2021 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- 11/08/2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 11/08/2021 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- 11/10/2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 11/10/2021 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- 11/11/2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 11/11/2021 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- 11/12/2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 11/12/2021 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- 11/15/2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 11/15/2021 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- 11/16/2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 11/16/2021 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Sign-Up is Required: https://signup.com/go/xhUUinJ; Space is limited
Our seed shed is filling up! Lend a hand in Dane County’s seed shed to begin processing the seed harvest from hundreds of species of native plants. As seed comes in from the field, help is needed processing it in order to produce clean seed ready for spreading on restored areas. Hammer milling is the first step in the cleaning process, releasing seed from capsules and breaking apart seed clusters. That step is then followed by using a fanning mill which separates seed from chaff with use of multiple screens and fans.
No prior experience is needed. All tools and training will be provided. Participants will need to stand on a step stool and tolerate some noise and dust. Hearing protection, dust masks, and additional PPE will be provided. Space is limited and registration is required.
COVID-19 Guidelines: Sign-up is required; wear a face mask at orientation, break, and when social distancing of 6’ between individuals cannot be maintained. If you are experiencing any cold or flu-like symptoms, do not attend.
For further questions contact:
Lars Higdon (608) 286-9497 firstname.lastname@example.org
Claire Lamberg (413) 313-6546 email@example.com
Dane County Seed Shed, 4401 Libby Rd., Madison WI
Parking lot is behind the building.
Seed cleaning equipment is in Bay 2, marked by a "Volunteer Entrance" sign.
ContactLars Higdon (608) 286-9497 firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Parks, Volunteer