Prairie Seed Cleaning Workdays
- 09/11/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 09/25/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 10/09/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 10/23/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 10/31/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/01/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/02/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/03/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/06/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/07/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/08/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/09/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/10/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/13/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/14/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/15/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/16/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 11/17/2023 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Sign-Up is Required: https://signup.com/go/xhUUinJ; Space is limited
3 hour shifts: 9:00am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-3:30pm
Our seed shed is filled up thanks to the many volunteers who joined us for our seed collection workdays! Lend a hand in Dane County’s seed shed to process the seed harvest from hundreds of species of native plants. Many hands make light work and help is needed to process it all in order to produce clean seed ready for sorting. Come winter and early spring we will be planting this seed on our 2021 land restorations with site-specific seed mixes. Hammer milling is the first step in the cleaning process, releasing seed from capsules and breaking apart seed clusters. That step is then followed by using a fanning mill which separates seed from chaff with use of multiple screens and fans. At this stage in the process volunteers will most likely use fanning mills which requires standing on anti-fatigue mats at the machine for several hours, using a scoop to put seed onto the machine, and using your hands to work the seed over a top screen. Training on machines will be provided. Those with respiratory health restrictions and asthma need to be aware that this is a very dusty process that may exacerbate respiratory issues and should consider not attending these events.
No prior experience is needed. All tools and training will be provided. Participants will need to stand on a step stool and tolerate some noise and dust. Hearing protection, dust masks, and additional PPE will be provided. Space is limited and registration is required.
For further questions contact:
Lars Higdon (608) 286-9497 email@example.com
Claire Lamberg (413) 313-6546 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dane County Seed Shed, 4401 Libby Rd., Madison WI
Parking lot is behind the building.
Seed cleaning equipment is in Bay 2, marked by a "Volunteer Entrance" sign.
ContactLars Higdon (608) 286-9497 email@example.com
Categories: Parks, Volunteer